Are you looking to create the perfect mask? Check out these bias ties method instructions from Costume Shop Assistant Jason Gill for a safe and stylish mask.
Follow the below step-by-step instructions with the corresponding photos in the slideshow.
Materials (Per Mask):
1. Cut one layer of flannel and one layer of cotton. Place layers wrong side together lining up edges.
2. Stitch ¼” from the edge all the way around, sewing the two layers together.
3. Pleat the sides down to 3” in three ½” pleats.
4. Make sure the pleats line up all the way across the mask.
5. Stitch the pleats down along the ¼” stitching line.
6. On the flannel side of the mask place the 3” lengths of bias tape along the sides lining up with the stitch line. Topstitch the bias down.
7. Press the bias down on the opposite side of the mask.
8. Topstitch the bias down encasing the seam allowance.
9. Repeat on the other pleated side of the mask. Make sure the bias is flush with the edge of the top and bottom of the mask.
10. Using the 49” length of bias, center on the top edge of the mask, lining up with the ¼” stitching line. Leave tails of bias hanging off both edges. These tails will become the ties of the mask.
11. Topstitch the bias along the top of the mask.
12. Press ½” in at the end of the bias tails.
13. Press the bias in half lengthwise.
14. Edgestitch the bias together encasing the mask seam allowance.
15. Make sure to topstitch the end of the ties. Repeat both steps 14 & 15 on the other edge of the mask.
16. Trim all threads and check over for quality and sturdiness.
17. Package masks in plastic bags if they will be distributed to others.
The IRT produces top-quality, professional theatre that engages, surprises, challenges and entertains people throughout their lifetimes, helping to build a vital and vibrant community.
Marketing Communications Manager
If you are interested in reviewing a production and would like to receive media passes, please email us.